Friday, August 19, 2011

STOP. With. The Movie Quotes.

Ah, cinema.  There's no debate it's one of the greatest innovations of technological society, akin to the motor vehicle and the Rabbit vibrator.  It's entertaining, and has ways of bringing people together.  It can be both thought provoking (I'm still getting over Inception.  I think my head exploded) and mindless (Pineapple Express can make anyone's day seem less stressful).  Also, it can be incessently over referenced.

Allow me to elaborate.

Sometimes, there is nothing more enjoyable than catching up with a few good friends over a bottle (or two or three or four) of tequila.  It's fun to reminisce on the good old days, and to discuss current events in each other's lives (never religion or politics, it's a cardinal rule, and one I wholly endorse).  There are always laughs to be had and memories to be made.

From the same vein, there is nothing more fucking overdone and irritating than sitting at a table of people who rely on humor stolen from films.  It's unoriginal, it's too common, and it's not entertaining anymore.
The next time I am at a barbeque and someone stands at the edge of the pool and says "I have an announcement to make...CANNONBALL!"  I will find another place to put my kebob skewer entirely.  Seriously?  You throwing yourself into 6 feet of chlorinated water was of such paramount importance you needed to interrupt everyone to quote Will Ferrell?  I highly doubt it.

Much as I mislead people daily into thinking I'm moderately attractive with the highly skilled use of MAC, thousands of people trick others into believing their humorous by inserting movie quotes into conversation.  In doing so, all they have proven to their company is their cunning ability to relate a situation.  Oh, you're pressuring someone with a gag reflex to shotgun a beer and you quote Beerfest (I remember my first beer!)?  How.  Fucking.  Inspired. 

Quote Tolstoy for all I care.  Just please.  Please.  I beg you.  Stop trying to convince people you're funny by quoting multi million dollar box office smashes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment